Car accidents can happen to anyone, and the sorrow they bring along is inevitable. So, what can one do in such circumstances? Is there any sort of legal help available when someone has been hit by a car? What is the best solution in such circumstances?
Well, if questions like these or similar ones are clubbing your mind, then by the time you will end up reading this article, I am sure you are going to have answers to all such questions. So, let us discuss about the same and see what an attorney or a lawyer can do to help you.
Situations when you should go to an attorney
One of the first things that you need to know in case you’ve been involved in a car accident is the situations in which you need to get in touch with a lawyer.
In case of serious injury
One of the first type of situations when you must get in touch with a legal professional after a car accident is in case if someone has been seriously injured. Serious injuries include everything, from breaking bones to hospitalization and permanent damages like paralysis, to name a few. Under all such situations, getting in touch with an attorney can help you stay away from trouble.
In case of a wrongful death
While serious injuries are commonly observed during car accidents, there can be instance where a wrongful death has occurred as a result of an accident. So, in this situation you are left with no other option but to get in touch with a legal professional who can help you to handle the manner while adhering to legal guidelines.
In case the fault is not clear
There can be instances when it is not clear who is at fault. Under such scenario when there can be chances of you being wrongfully blamed, you can get in touch with a lawyer who can skilfully handle the situation and make use of the evidences available to ensure that no one is wrongfully blamed during such an incident.
Wrong police report has been filed
Now this can be an issue that can be related to car accidents most commonly. Considering the fact there can be lack of evidence at the scene and there could be mishandling of information, it becomes imperative that you have the right legal help available by your side.
Facing insurance problems
Although insurance services are developed to help people who are stuck in troubles, there may be irresponsible insurers who start to misbehave and try to avoid their obligations when someone goes for a car accident claim. If you also face such a problem, then contacting an attorney is the safest option for you. With their expertise and legal knowledge, these professionals can help you with your claim without any hassle.
What’s the time frame during which you can file a claim?
Well, it varies from province to province. Keeping in mind the fact that these are civil lawsuits, such cases follow a similar path toward the conclusion. So, you need to check with local authorities or an auto accident attorney to make sure that you file your claim before the decree of limitations is up. In Ontario you can file for a claim within 2 years in most cases.
Similarly, once you have filed a claim against someone who is liable to pay for the defense, the defendant also has limited time to respond to your notice. This can be done by admitting or denying the allegations, or even counterclaims to show that the car accident occurred because of your mistake.
Of course a lawyer can help you avoid all these problems!
What are the claims which you can file for?
This comes as one of the most important aspects of car accidents. Knowing whether you are liable to file for a claim and what are claims you can file for can help you to distress yourself. Here is a look at the types of claims:
- Bodily Injury Claims – As the name already suggests, this type of claim will cover all sorts of body injuries that you might have suffered because of the car accident. An attorney with his legal knowledge can provide you with all information in regards to whether your injuries fall under the guidelines to get a claim or not, and thereby can prove to be your best help.
- Property Damage Claims – Now this claim includes all repair and maintenance costs that you might have incurred as a result of the car accident. Filing for property damage claims after a car accident can be a highly complicated process and therefore, getting in touch with a lawyer can prove to be a great idea, considering the fact that you would not want to get stuck in any sort of legal troubles and miscommunication, and lose all the compensation money.
How can a lawyer help?
Now that you know the situations when you can, or if I should say, you must get a legal advice from an experienced attorney after you’ve been involved in a car accident, let me share the reasons why you must get help from these professionals.
First of all, a lawyer can help you stay out of legal troubles. Legal battles are not easy to win. So, one of the major reasons why you need to hire services of an expert when it comes to car accidents is because they are well verse with legal terms and conditions. No matter how bad the situation might be, the lawyers can turn things in your favor to make sure that the justice is served.
Secondly, they can help you find an answer to whether file a lawsuit or settle outside: now this is something that no one can explain you better than an attorney. Whenever a car accident has happened, there are two options left for you, the first one is going to court and sue the person, or the second one – to settle outside the court. While settling outside the court can be the best idea as it brings along the advantages such as:
- Faster compensation
- Avoiding hassle of multiple court hearings
- Ridding oneself from unpredictability of a court decision
All that being said, there can be instances when you are left with no other option but to get in touch with the lawyer and to take your case to court.
Not just these two, but one of the major advantages of having a lawyer by your side when filing for a car accident claim is that they can help you fasten the process and make sure things never run out of hand. All these reasons clearly explain why it is important to consult with a lawyer in case of a car accident.
Complicated car accident cases when only an expert lawyer can help you
- Drunken Driver Case – If a car accident has occurred because the other driver was driving under the influence of alcohol or something else (DUI), then a lawyer can help you understand the province laws to make sure you file a claim in compliance with legal regulations. While different provinces have their own laws, a lawyer can easily provide you with the best possible solution and help you with filing your claim, no matter how bad the situation might seem to be.
- Poor Road Conditions – There can be instances when you might get into a car accident because of poor road conditions. Now, this is one of the most critical types of cases where only a seasoned pro can come to rescue. A good lawyer can guide you through the entire process of how to proceed in such a scenario, how you can file a claim against the government regulatory authorities and what is the best possible outcome for you out of such case. In short, he/she can help you to fight with the government as well as non-government authorities.
- Passenger injury – Another special instance can be if you were a passenger of a car involved in a collision, not the driver. So, what can you do in such a scenario? Are you liable to file a claim against one of the drivers or both of them? How easy it will be for you to get the claim?
- Car-bicycle Claims – Not all car accidents involve cars only. There can be other vehicles involved as well, and car-bicycle accidents are amongst the most common ones. If you have been at the receiving end of a car-bicycle accident, you can sue the driver for a personal injury you got. However, with help of a good personal injury lawyer you can eventually get to know about the best possible options you have specifically in your case, i.e. whether you should sue in court or go for a settlement, etc.
All this explains the situations associated with car accidents and how a lawyer can come to rescue to save the day for you in all these circumstances. Now, coming to the most important question – How can you find the right attorney to represent you after a car accident?
Well, this can prove to be a task full of hassle for you. So, let me share some of the tips that can help you make the right decision when it comes to hiring a lawyer for your personal injury claim after a car accident
- Look for the ‘3Es’ – The three ‘Es’ here stands for Experience, Expertise and Education. There are countless lawyers available out there on the market claiming to be the best. However, not all of them are. So you need to find a real professional who not only holds a degree in the field of personal injury law, but at the same time has experience in this field and handled a significant number of such cases in the past. If required, go through a list of clients that the lawyer can provide you and make sure the lawyer has handled cases similar to yours in his/her career. This can give you a good idea about expertise and experience of the professional.
- Look for reviews – Internet has emerged as one of the best tools to find anything, no matter which part of the world you are located in. By going online you can compile a list of all legal professionals in your area and get in touch with all or some of them without hassle of running everywhere and wasting your time. And, to have an idea about their authenticity in the trade, you can eventually have a look at what people are saying about them at different review sites or on their own ones. What else can you ask for?
- Don’t forget about the fee – Now this is something that you need to consider beforehand. While hiring a lawyer can be the best decision you could make, you must not forget that a lawyer is going to charge some fee for his/her service. This is the reason that you need to be careful while making your decision. There can be attorneys who can cost you a fortune for their services, and thereby proving to be more harmful then useful for you in your personal injury claim.
- Ask your friends – The best thing that you can do to make sure you are with the right lawyer is to ask your friends for a reference from a one who had been in similar circumstance. While your personal research can be a great way to find the right lawyer, getting in touch with someone who has helped a person you know during similar situation can be the best option for you. In fact, by being with such a professional you can easily build the trust factor that can help to discuss things more clearly with the attorney and get the best results out of your claim.
That’s about it. By following these simple tips, you will eventually end up hiring the right attorney for your personal injury case after a car accident. After all, you need to have legal help that can rescue you and get the right claim for all the suffering that you had to bear because of someone else’s negligence.
The law is here to rescue people, and a good lawyer can help you with getting the most of the law and come out on top to punish someone who has disobeyed the law and caused you trouble.
So, God forbid if you or any of your loved ones has been a part of such unfortunate circumstance. But if you do, getting in touch with a lawyer must be the first thing that you need to do. And when looking for a lawyer, don’t forget to consider the words of wisdom shared above.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident and needs top-level representation and care, please call motor vehicle accident lawyers at
1 (844) 722-5246 or Book your FREE consultation.