Brain Injury Claims
Brain injuries are the leading cause of death and disability for Canadians under the age of 35, with the highest rate of injury occurring between the ages of 15 – 24 years, according to the Brain Injury Association of Durham Region.
If you manage to survive a brain injury, the disabilities that you may suffer could be:
Symptoms of Brain Injury
Symptoms of brain injury may seem like minor inconveniences at first, but as they accumulate, they can degrade your quality of life.
Some symptoms include but not limited to:
- Unconsciousness after the incident
- Inability to remember events or details that occurred immediately before and after the accident
- Difficulty processing and remembering new information
- Frequent headaches
- Blurred vision
Long term effects of brain injuries can be devastating. Some accident victims with brain injuries:
- No longer remember the faces or names of friends and family members
- Have speech impairments
- Suffer loss of vision, hearing, or motor abilities
Emotional Effects of Brain Injury
Brain injuries can affect the ability to express and feel emotion and can even change the personality of the victim. Inappropriate emotional responses can make social interactions quickly turn awkward, which can lead to isolation from others.
Even when brain injury does not directly affect the emotions, losing basic cognitive abilities and coping with new disabilities takes an emotional toll.
Legal Rights of Victims Suffering from Brain Injury
The law in Toronto provides specific rights to people suffering from a brain injury. This includes the right to:
- file for a personal injury claim
- be represented and assisted by a legal representative when filing a claim
- long-term disability benefits
- settle their cases out of court
An attorney who specializes in brain injuries can advise you as to the best course of action for your particular case and guide you step by step through the process.
Why You Need a Lawyer Who Specializes in Brain Injuries
Insurance companies are for-profit entities that will try to pay the least amount of compensation possible, regardless of the extent of your injuries or their client’s responsibility. They have a team of expert legal professionals on their side that understands how to minimize victim benefits so that their company can pay the least amount of money possible.
Having an attorney who specializes in brain injury cases can greatly increase the amount of compensation that you will receive. Your attorney will be well versed in the law and legal precedents and be able to fight for your rights to get you the compensation that you need.
According to an Insurance Research Council study, self-represented plaintiffs received less than one third of the compensation that plaintiffs represented by an attorney, even after attorney’s fees were paid.
Requirements for Filing for Brain Injury Claims in Toronto
Brain injury victims are required to do the following when filing a lawsuit in Toronto:
- Adhere to the statute of limitations in the province, which means a person should file a claim within two years of the accident
- Accept the burden of proof when it comes to proving the veracity of the claims through the presentation of proper documentation and court-admissible evidence
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your brain injury claim, you may file for an appeal with the Supreme Court of Canada, or your attorney may file an appeal on your behalf.
Compensation for Brain Injuries in Ontario
Toronto’s legal system may award compensation for on-going medical costs, rehabilitation, loss of income and opportunity, as well as minimal compensation for pain and suffering.
Canada currently places a hard cap to the compensation. Insurance companies and legal representation of the defendant will always try to settle for less. Having an attorney experienced in brain injury on your side to fight for your rights is vital to getting the maximum compensation that you are entitled to.
How Claim Accident Services Can Help You
After a brain injury accident, you will need help to get your life back.
At Claim Accident Services, we take on the time-consuming work of:
- Interviewing and vetting experienced legal representation
- Finding the attorney with the right skill set for your specific needs
- Researching the highest-quality healthcare providers for your injuries
We have lawyers who specialize in brain injury accidents who will guide you every step of the way through the complex process, whether you shared fault in the accident or not. Our legal team will help you to protect your claim and provide for your future needs and losses.
Our healthcare providers are well versed at treating the serious trauma involved with brain injuries. They can set you up for a successful recovery.
Our reputation rests on the quality of our providers, so we only choose the best for you.
Why Choose Claim Accident Services
- Pay nothing until we win your case
- Get help, even if you were at fault in the accident
- Have a better recovery with professional rehabilitation services
- Get the MAXIMUM compensation possible for your case
- FREE transportation to and from your legal/medical visits
- FREE consultation
- FREE case evaluation
We Can Help You With:
- Head-On Collisions
- Rear Impact Collisions
- Side Impact Collisions
- Runoff Collisions
- Hydroplane Collisions
- Fender Benders
- Traffic Violations resulting in Car Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- TTC Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Electric Scooter (E-Scooter) Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
- ATV Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Taxicab Accidents
Our lawyers serve the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) including Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough, Mississauga, Brampton, North York, Richmond Hill, and Markham, as well as Oakville, Barrie, Collingwood, Niagara Falls, London, Waterloo / Kitchener and surrounding areas.
We can help you get your life back after your brain injury. Call us at (647) 632-4357or schedule your free consultation to get started.