Pedestrian Accident Claims
Motor vehicle accidents that involve pedestrians are more likely to end in fatalities than other types of accidents. If you are a pedestrian who is lucky enough to survive a motor vehicle accident, your injuries can change your life forever.
Other crash victims have seatbelts to hold them in place, car bodies that crumple and airbags to absorb the abrupt change in speed. As a pedestrian, you have no protective barriers around you to cushion the force, and you suffer the full brunt of the collision.
In spite of improvements made by the Zero Vision program, aimed at reducing traffic-related fatalities and serious injuries, pedestrian accidents continue to plague Toronto residents.
What should I do after a pedestrian accident in Toronto?
After an accident, it’s normal to feel shaken up. You have just been through an unexpected, traumatic event and it may take several days or weeks for you to feel the full extent of your injuries.
After a pedestrian accident, you should:
- Move off of the road, if possible. Approaching cars may not be able to see or avoid you if you are lying in the road. The side of the road is a much safer place if you are not too injured to move. If you are unable to move, stay calm and wait for help.
- Call 911. All pedestrian accidents are serious and you will need the police to file a report and the paramedics to check for injuries. Although you may be tempted to ignore the full extent of your injuries, immediate treatment will give you the best chance for recovery.
- Get the driver’s information. This would include their driver’s license number, name, address and phone number. If possible, photograph of the driver’s license.
- Get witnesses’ information. Contact information from witnesses will be needed if there is any doubt about the details of the accident.
- Take pictures. Photographic evidence of what happened at the scene can be very valuable to your case. Take pictures of your injuries, the car, and the scene of the accident.
- Take notes. Write down everything that you remember about the accident as soon as you can afterward, including the sequence of events and any observations you may have made. If the driver said anything that might indicate fault, write down their exact words so that you can refer to them later.
- Call Claim Accident Services. Whether you have obvious injuries, such as broken bones, or have neck, back and joint pain, we can help. Many impact injuries worsen with time and are not immediately obvious. You will need an experienced personal injury lawyer to advise you on your best course of action. This will help you get the compensation that you deserve to pay for your medical bills and preserve your options if your condition worsens in the future. If you are facing criminal charges for your part in the accident, you may also want to contact a criminal attorney for advice.
Why do I need an attorney after a pedestrian accident in Toronto?
If you are injured, you will need medical assistance. Even injuries that seem minor at first can end up requiring extensive treatment.
Injuries from pedestrian accidents can:
- Make you unable to do activities you previously enjoyed
- Reduce or eliminate your ability to work and provide for your family
- Reduce your quality of life
- Cause chronic pain
- Leave you unable to perform daily activities
Hitting a pedestrian is very costly and insurance companies will do their best to try to reduce their liability. They will attempt to prove that your actions made you responsible for the accident in order to lower the amount that they will need to pay for your care. Having an attorney or failing to have an attorney will directly affect how much they offer you as a settlement, which can directly impact your recovery and quality of life.
At this point, it is crucial to have an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side to:
- protect you from liability
- advise you on your best course of action
- get you the compensation that you will need for your recovery to pay for:
- lost wages
- medical expenses
- pain and suffering
- avoid being taken advantage of by the insurance companies
Your attorney will be well versed in the intricacies of pedestrian accidents and will be prepared to take your case to trial, if necessary.
Why Insurance Companies Want to Deal with You Directly
Insurance companies are for-profit businesses that are not concerned with doing the right thing. They will try to pay the least amount of money possible for your case, regardless of the amount of care you need and the loss that you have experienced.
According to an Insurance Research Council study, self-represented plaintiffs received less than one third of the compensation that plaintiffs represented by an attorney, even after attorney’s fees were paid.
Your personal injury attorney will give you valuable advice about your course of action and help you get you the compensation that you deserve to:
- Pay your medical bills
- Compensate for the cost of medical bills in the future
- Recoup lost wages
- Compensate for lost wages in the future
- Compensate for your pain and suffering
Common Injuries from Pedestrian Accidents
Some common injuries that pedestrians suffer after an accident include:
- Head trauma. Any head injury can have lasting effects that may not be immediately apparent. You may also have traumatic brain injury, which could affect your quality of life.
- Spinal cord injuries. Mild spinal cord injuries may cause a loss of sensation in localized areas of your body. Severe spinal cord injuries may result in paraplegia or quadriplegia, where you are unable to move whole areas of your body.
- Fractures. Broken bones are always painful and never heal as strong as they were before they were broken.
- Internal injuries. Because they are not visible, rib fractures, damage to internal organs or bleeding beneath the surface of the skin may not be easily identified after a pedestrian accident.
- Pelvic injuries. Damage to the pelvic girdle can make everyday movements, such as walking and sitting up painful or impossible.
- Lacerations, Punctures and Avulsions. Any break in the skin can be dangerous. These three types of cuts can result in tissue damage, injury to internal organs or excessive bleeding.
- Death. There are some accidents that pedestrians do not survive.
How Claim Accident Services Can Help You
After a pedestrian accident, you need to take action. You need the best health care to make the best possible recovery. You also need to have the right legal advice to help you get the compensation that you need to pay for your treatment and get your life back.
At Claim Accident Services, we take on the time-consuming work of:
- Interviewing and vetting experienced legal representation
- Finding the attorney with the right skill set for your specific needs
- Researching the highest-quality healthcare providers for your injuries
Just one call to Claim Accident Services can get you started. We will listen to your story and put you on the path to recovery.
We have lawyers who specialize in pedestrian accidents who will guide you every step of the way through the complex process, whether you shared fault in the collision or not. Our legal team will help you to protect your claim and provide for your future needs and losses.
Our healthcare providers are skilled at treating a wide range of injuries such as sprains and strains, soft tissue injuries, fractures, head injuries, herniated discs, spinal cord injury and paralysis, torn ligaments, facial injuries, scarring, loss of limbs and internal organ damage. They can set you up for a successful recovery.
Our reputation rests on the quality of our providers, so we only choose the best for you.
What stops people from hiring a lawyer?
Some people are reluctant to hire a lawyer after an accident because they worry that a lawsuit would somehow harm the person who was at-fault in the accident.
This is an unnecessary concern. In a typical scenario, the at-fault individual would only have to spend a few hours in examination during the discovery phase of the trial, if he or she is even involved in the lawsuit at all. Insurance exists to prevent individuals from having to bear these costs.
Other victims may believe that people who file lawsuits are trying to get money that they don’t deserve, which couldn’t be farther from the truth.
Unfortunately, many victims fail to pursue legal recourse against insurance companies to get the compensation that they need to protect themselves.
This leaves money that can help them recover from their injuries and regain their quality of life in the bank accounts of big insurance companies.
Why Choose Claim Accident Services
- Pay nothing until we win your case
- Get help, even if you were at fault in the accident
- Have a better recovery with professional rehabilitation services
- Get the MAXIMUM compensation possible for your case
- FREE transportation to and from your legal/medical visits
- FREE consultation
- FREE case evaluation
We Can Help You With:
- Head-On Collisions
- Rear Impact Collisions
- Side Impact Collisions
- Runoff Collisions
- Hydroplane Collisions
- Fender Benders
- Traffic Violations resulting in Car Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- TTC Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Electric Scooter (E-Scooter) Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
- ATV Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Taxicab Accidents
Our lawyers serve the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) including Toronto, Etobicoke, Scarborough, Mississauga, Brampton, North York, Richmond Hill, and Markham, as well as Oakville, Barrie, Collingwood, Niagara Falls, London, Waterloo / Kitchener and surrounding areas.
We can help you get your life back after a catastrophic accident. Call us at (647) 632-4357 to get started.